The traffic rules and road signs do not seem to be enough to stop pedestrian accidents from occurring as there are nearly 64,000 people who got hit by cars while walking and 5,000 are killed.
If you happen to be striding along a boulevard, got struck by vehicle and sustained injury, you have to hire a pedestrian accident attorney. You are entitled to look for one because it is your right to file charges against the party you believe is liable for the accident.
A lot of pedestrian accidents happen due to driver’s negligent manner of driving. Furthermore, the frequent causes of such accident are as follows:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol may have slower reaction or impaired sense of sight, which makes it difficult to see or avoid pedestrians.
- Traffic law violations – Driving above the speed limit will lessen the driver’s allotted time to avoid crashes. Generally, speeding level up the chances of being involved in a mishap.
- Motor vehicle defects – Brakes are the most concern here. If they are unable to function properly, it is hard for the driver to avoid collision.
- Road defects – Construction projects, impediments on the road, or other aspects can alter the capability of the driver to escape from mishap.
- Impaired sense of sight – Poor lighting, insufficient street lights, broken headlights, or adverse weather condition may make it difficult for drivers to see pedestrians. In spite of the reduced visibility, drivers are still subjected to be liable for the injuries in these cases.
Not all cases of pedestrian accidents are caused by drivers. There are times in which pedestrians themselves are the culprits.
- Pedestrians who do not cross at the proper area on the road.
- Pedestrians who neglect traffic rules.
- Pedestrians who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and thus, walk as if there are no vehicles.
In the event that you got struck by a vehicle, talk to a pedestrian accident attorney right away. Discuss everything that happened and entrust him the details. However, the lawyer that you are going to hire must be really an expert and has litigation background so that your case will be handled thoroughly.
If so happened that the status of your case dictates that it must be brought to trial court, your lawyer may serve as your legal representative as well.